Saturday, October 1, 2011

Anthony Ch 10. Hall Ch 6

This weeks reading in the Anthony text was interesting to me because it presented information to me that had never entered my thought process.  One thing that stood out to me was the infomation about how school districts evaluate software and determine what products they will use in their schools.  It was interesting because technology use is being pushed so hard in the classrooms that school districts often put in place new software that is engaging to the learners and opens them up to a variety of technological skills. 

At times it is difficult for school districts to implement new hardware and sofware programs becacuse of cost issues that are associated with the enhancements.  Therefore school districts have to allow certain funds to go towards their technological advances and still maintain budget for their other departments.  It was interesting when the book mentioned that large urban school districts will often not change hardware manufacturers even if better performing software is available or if its less expensive; this is due to them not wanting to change or convert the software.  This makes me wonder where do the interests of these school districts lie?  Seeing that they are willing to not upgrade systems for better performance, how can they offer the best to their students when choosing cost over quality instruction?

Another thing that stood out to me was the mentioning of the evaluation of hardware for instructional applications.  I think the fact that school districts allow teachers and schools to have flexibility when choosing the types of hardware to use in their classrooms.  This is beneficial to the teachers because they can choose hardware that they are familiar with and that will help to maximize the learning that is taking place. 

The Hall text really broke down how reflection of assessments and material can contribute to effective growth.  It is vital that people understand how they are performing and what areas of strength and weakness need to be addressed.  As a teacher, I related the Professional Growth Plan to Long Range Plans.  I am currently going through my Adept, Safe-T formal evaluation process and I have to complete my long range plans.  Similiar to the Professional Growth Plan, goals must be outlined, areas of growth must be stated and numerous other things.  I think that the ability to accecpt constructive criticism and use it as a source of reflection to help evaluate performance; it helps to develop strong leaders that can contribute to a team or a to an organization.

4 comments:

  1. I agree about the evaluation process. The way we receive the evaluation is very important. When we view the evaluation process as a way to improve our performance, then we are ready to analyze ways we can adjust our actions. When we look at the evaluation process as something negative, we lose the opportunity to improve.

    I find I am constantly analyzing and reflecting upon my performance to seek ways to improve. I also am easily frustrated with co-workers who settle for mediocre performance. I feel we should strive for excellence in all we do.
    By incorporating Professional Growth Plans, similar to the Goals Based Evaluation we do in South Carolina, we can help our team members improve performance.

    I remember my ADEPT experience. It was a good experience, due in part to a supportive evaluation team that worked with me to help me learn to self-reflect and seek ways to improve. I hope the best for you as you go through ADEPT and SAFE-T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think the content of this weeks reading is something that we should all really master in order to be the best technological leaders we can be. The Picciano book provided very valuable information on what to think about when choosing hardware and software for school districts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that the ability to accept constructive criticism is important. It can be used to help leaders evaluate performance. I also agree with you that leaders who are strong can help improve their organization/team.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was also engaged by the talk in the Picciano text about choosing the appropriate hardware and software. I can see the difficulty that our educational leaders currently face with their shrinking budgets and increasing fast changing technology. Of course, I hope and believe that our leaders always want the newest and the best, but I try to understand that it is not always possible due to monetary constraints. All I have ever asked of my leaders is that they be willing to listen to us as teachers and why we may need a current technology. They don't always have to agree as long as they will listen with an open mind.

    ReplyDelete