Sunday, February 19, 2012

educ 630: blog 4

on your own ability to collaborate in asynchronous and synchronous online environments . .for learning or for professional contexts

I feel that I function better in asynchronous online learning enviornment.  I feel this because I enjoy a learning enviornment that is more interactive and engaging.  Hence in an aynchronous enviornment there is a more student centered approach where there is more peer to peer intereactions.  This is particularily helpful when their are group projects to be completed or there are discussion boards or blogs that are to be completed.  All of these components of online learning really stimulate my thinking and lead me towards the preference of an asynchronous online enviornment.  I love that this type of learning environment promotes a high level of interactivity.

The main downside that I see to asynchronous online enviornments is that they are very dependent upon technology use and this can be a hinderace to the educators and the learners.  For example many online educational databases like Blackboard, can be used by numerous people to function in an online community, but if technology fails or experiences challenges the users are then at a stucked place because the functioning of the online community is based upon that source of technology.  This can be seen numerous times throughout the course of any educational setting when emails can not be viewed, blackboard can not be accessed, etc.

Overall I feel that asynchronous online enviornments lend to a more engaging atmosphere where students and educators can collaborate together; and that can lead to a more enriched educational experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment